top of page

ILO or SIL - Which one is right for you?


If you are just starting out on your journey to consider which support package may be a best fit for you, it may feel as difficult as standing on your head!

ILO (Independent Living Options) and SIL (Supported Independent Living), are two options enabling people with disabilities to live as independently as possible, by providing them with the assistance they need to support them. Both can be funded by the NDIS (National Disability Insurance Scheme) to help you live in the way that best suits you. But what is the difference, and which one is right for you?

ILO (Independent Living Options)

ILO can be a great way to assist you to remain in your own home and is best suited to people with lower support needs. It is available to Australians who are 18 years of age or older, who need in-home-support for more than six hours a day.

You may also live with family or friends, in shared accommodation or with a host who will receive a payment to help you with daily tasks such as making meals or doing the laundry. Support workers will come to your home to help you with a huge range of daily living tasks depending on your needs. These tasks include personal care such as helping you to shower and dress, household tasks such as shopping and preparing meals, doing housework and laundry and assistance travelling to and attending appointments.

ILO allows you to live in the way that best suits you. When discussing ILO options with you, your NDIA (National Disability Insurance Agency) planner, will take in to account your strengths, support needs, preferences and informal and community supports to help you to achieve your living independently goals.

If you have identified some things about your current living arrangement that are not working for you, talk to your family, friends or community supports, so that you can develop a clear understanding about the additional assistance you need. If you have a support coordinator as part of you NDIS plan, they can be a great advocate for you and help you to work out the best living arrangements.

SIL (Supported Independent Living)

Supported Independent Living allows for two or more people with higher needs to live in a home with 24/7 support. The support workers will provide the same assistance that they do for a person living semi-independently (ILO), but support workers can be there 24/7 to make sure that you are safe and cared for.

At times, SIL support package may be offered 1:1, however more commonly, supports are shared among 2 or more people with a disability.

With a SIL arrangement, you can enjoy independence and make new friends while accessing the supports that you need to assist you with the tasks of daily living. Your support workers will also help you with administering medication and medication management, as well as support you with behavioral management and social skills.

Unlike an ILO package, with SIL you can only share with other people with a disability. This care approach is not a best option for you should you wish to remain living with your friends or family who are not recipients of SIL support.

Still not sure about which arrangement is best for you? Here is a comparison between ILO (Independent Living Options) and SIL (Supported Independent Living).

Where do I start if I want to consider an ILO or SIL option?

If you already receive NDIS funding and your goal is to live independently or fully supported, you will need a Comprehensive Evaluation conducted by a qualified Occupational Therapist. The evaluation will take into consideration your history, physical abilities, mental health and the supports you need to achieve your goals. The evaluation can be conducted face to face or virtually. A family member, friend or support worker can also be with you during the assessment to assist.

Flexiwell Group is an experienced assessor of both, SIL and ILO NDIS options and can work with you to prepare the necessary reports.

If ILO or SIL are accepted as “reasonable and necessary” by the Agency, the funding will become available in your Plan.

If you would like to arrange an ILO or SIL assessment with Flexiwell Group, you can submit a referral online by clicking on the link. The referral can be submitted by yourself, a family member or Support Coordinator. You can learn more about Flexiwell Group by clicking here.


Flexiwell Referral, scroll down to the green button “Submit Referral” and complete the online referral form.

Flexiwell website

Flexiwell contacts:

Ph: 07 3532 5945

Flexiwell works to define the impact of an injury or a disability on individuals and workplaces. We help to design the best solutions to manage the impacts, so people can function at their maximum capacity.

100 views0 comments


bottom of page